Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
192 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  CFI
Cross Fire Injection. Method of fuel delivery in the L82 motor. The 1984 is the only C4 to use the L82. This is the same engine used in the 1982 C3. ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

jsup Trans Decision...
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Hey guys, I think I'm going to go with the Performabuilt. Cost will be $2100. I get $400 for my converter, and $100 for my trans.. they are providing a free converter with purchase, so I don't need it.

http://performabuiltautomatics.com/GM ... le-series_700r4_4l60e.htm

So out of pocket, $2100

Any reason why I shouldn't?

Please review the parts used in this build, let me know.
Posted on: 2008/11/5 0:15

pr0zac Re: Trans Decision...
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

i think you will be pleased!!
Posted on: 2008/11/5 0:36

jsup Re: Trans Decision...
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
i think you will be pleased!!

Can't wait to put the slicks on, now that I have a trans that will support it.!! Hopefully it won't snap the bat wing...
Posted on: 2008/11/5 0:39

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

HAHAHAHA
Posted on: 2008/11/5 0:57

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Pete? Anyone have comments why this would not be a good move?
Posted on: 2008/11/5 3:36

88BlackZ51 Re: Trans Decision...
Senior Guru
481 Posts

What happens if Pete says no?
Posted on: 2008/11/5 3:52
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:

1. I take his comments under consideration

2.I ask him why he feels that way and how he validates his conclusions.

3. I research and validate if his reasons are valid, no one is a god. This will include talking to: 1. the guy who invented the automatic transmission 2. Drivetrain engineers from Ford, GM, and Chrysler. 3. members of the Penske racing team who specialize in transmissions.

4. I come to a conclusion of the validity of the statements Pete makes as compared to the information I compiled.

5. I then ask another question regarding Pete's point as it relates to the information I have compiled.

6. Repeat 1-5 until I am satisfied Pete has a good point or not.
In turn Pete will:

1. ask to see my dyno numbers before we can discuss this any further.

2. Tell me he knows a guy who goes real fast and he did it that way and did not do it the way Performabuilt did it.

3. Tell me that racing teams have nothing to do with anything then say if the GM, Ford, and Chrylser guys were so smart why did the trans break in the first place.

4. Get all his friends to gang up on me,tell me to stfu and call for my banning, ask again for dyno sheets before I can be qualified to ask such questions, tell me about more about people who went real fast, and repeat the brochure findings.

5. Get the manufacturer to come in and put up conclusive proof of Pete's points comparing this new technology to a 1962 Chevy Powerglide, which couldn't handle 200 HP and explain that his way it could handle 700HP, although have no 700HP cars to point to.

6. Said manufacturer suggests I buy his product and the Performabuilt, install both in my car, dyno it, and put the results on Corvette Guru so I can validate everything Pete says. Then reiterates the call for a dyno sheet, in order to validate my concerns that Pete may not be correct. Then personally attacks me.

7. Find someone who built a trans in their kitchen, once or twice, and hold them up as an expert witness because they went to GM training for a week in May.

8. And at the end of all this I still would have learned nothing about why Pete's reasons were valid in the first place.

I think that's how it usually goes.
Posted on: 2008/11/5 4:23

cuisinartvette Re: Trans Decision...
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Consult team of crack engineers?

[IMG]http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/08/16/automobiles/533-ford-team.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2008/11/5 4:55

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

bogus Re: Trans Decision...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20861 Posts

Penske engineers are still working with Rockcrushers.

At least Indy cars use a sequential box.
Posted on: 2008/11/5 5:14

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
481 Posts

I guess you guys won't be discussing anything then.

John, If anyone attacks you, or gangs up on you, please let me know. I don't like when the little guys get picked on.

Ron, that was funny man....
Posted on: 2008/11/5 5:34

bogus Re: Trans Decision...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20861 Posts

Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:
I guess you guys won't be discussing anything then.

John, If anyone attacks you, or gangs up on you, please let me know. I don't like when the little guys get picked on.

Why do you say that? John's reply was very well thought out and goes along a logical path we should all consider following.

Have things become so "known" that empirical data has lost it importance?

I have a headache, it's time for bed.
Posted on: 2008/11/5 6:57

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:
you get a cookie.
Posted on: 2008/11/5 11:05

Senior Guru
481 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:
you get a cookie.
Chocolate chip I hope....John did Pete say yes? I myself would be worried about the warranty, and the reputation of the shop.
Posted on: 2008/11/5 12:23

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Pete said in the past, he has heard nothing bad about them, and they use the same converter he sells. Just verifying, and I'm not just asking Pete.

The warranty is one year, considerably longer than any other offer I can find. Most offer 30 days or 60 days.

Also they will replace the trans for $900 if it ever explodes while I own it.

I can only find good comments about this shop. Bad news travels fast so since I can't find any, IDK. I will take another week to research it.

They are fairly local, less than 2 hours away.

By the time I drop $2K, I am sure that it's the right purchase, I do not call the manufacturer and ask what I should do, or believe everything on their website.

Another week of research, real research, then I will make the decision. I will look at every part they list on their build and see if they are a quality part, as I search the reputation of the shop.
Posted on: 2008/11/5 12:38

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:

That right there is just right out funny. I don't know why I ever thought you had no sense of humor.
Posted on: 2008/11/5 13:17

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:
Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:
you get a cookie.
Chocolate chip I hope....John did Pete say yes? I myself would be worried about the warranty, and the reputation of the shop.
apparently you don't get out too much cause they are sponsors on a few f body sites with tons of good feedback.
Posted on: 2008/11/5 18:35

PeteK Re: Trans Decision...
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Pete? Anyone have comments why this would not be a good move?

None at all.
Warrantee is good, parts may be overkill, but overall price seems fair.

PS:
I think you may have noticed that I never beat my point of view into others.
Not my nature.
I always give my honest opinion. Most choose to make up their own minds, and buy what they wish to buy. I am never offended either way.
Posted on: 2008/11/5 22:18

PeteK Re: Trans Decision...
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:

3. I research and validate if his reasons are valid, no one is a god. This will include talking to: 1. the guy who invented the automatic transmission 2. Drivetrain engineers from Ford, GM, and Chrysler. 3. members of the Penske racing team who specialize in transmissions.

4. I come to a conclusion of the validity of the statements Pete makes as compared to the information I compiled.

5. I then ask another question regarding Pete's point as it relates to the information I have compiled.

In turn Pete will:

2. Tell me he knows a guy who goes real fast and he did it that way and did not do it the way Performabuilt did it.

3. Tell me that racing teams have nothing to do with anything then say if the GM, Ford, and Chrylser guys were so smart why did the trans break in the first place.

4. Get all his friends to gang up on me,tell me to stfu and call for my banning, ask again for dyno sheets before I can be qualified to ask such questions, tell me about more about people who went real fast, and repeat the brochure findings.

5. Get the manufacturer to come in and put up conclusive proof of Pete's points comparing this new technology to a 1962 Chevy Powerglide, which couldn't handle 200 HP and explain that his way it could handle 700HP, although have no 700HP cars to point to.

6. Said manufacturer suggests I buy his product and the Performabuilt, install both in my car, dyno it, and put the results on Corvette Guru so I can validate everything Pete says. Then reiterates the call for a dyno sheet, in order to validate my concerns that Pete may not be correct. Then personally attacks me.

7. Find someone who built a trans in their kitchen, once or twice, and hold them up as an expert witness because they went to GM training for a week in May.

8. And at the end of all this I still would have learned nothing about why Pete's reasons were valid in the first place.

Not from me.
I am too busy to bust your ballz
Posted on: 2008/11/5 22:22

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:

In turn Pete will:

Not from me.
I am too busy to bust your ballz

Get on the stick man, that's the process...
Posted on: 2008/11/5 22:52

Senior Guru
481 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:
Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:
you get a cookie.
apparently you don't get out too much cause they are sponsors on a few f body sites with tons of good feedback.

Sorry man. Don't spend all day on car forums.
Posted on: 2008/11/6 2:01

Senior Guru
481 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:

That right there is just right out funny. I don't know why I ever thought you had no sense of humor.

You think that's funny? That's nothing!
Posted on: 2008/11/7 3:49

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.